Beach Plum Cordial
by Cathy Walthers, Private Chef and Cookbook Author
This recipe produces a slightly sweet, lightly tart, fruity cordial with a divine taste and gorgeous deep purple color.
- 2 quarts beach plums, stems removed, rinsed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 bottle vodka (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup brandy, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. In a soup pot, crush the beach plums with a potato masher and mix in the sugar. Let sit for up to an hour to draw out additional juices.
2. Add the vodka, brandy, if using, and lemon juice. Pour into 3 quart-sized jars until it is 1/4-inch from the top of the jar. Cap the jars and shake, label them and store it in a cool, dark place for 1 to 2 months. Shake occasionally.
3. Strain the mixture into a clean jar and discard the fruit and pits (or store the preserved berries in another jar for use).