Join On-Line Today! (Click on Join Us on the home page)
Supporting Good, Clean, and Fair Food
The word good can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. For Slow Food, the idea of good means enjoying delicious food created with care from healthy plants and animals. The pleasures of good food can also help to build community and celebrate culture and regional diversity.
When we talk about clean food, we are talking about nutritious food that is as good for the planet as it is for our bodies. It is grown and harvested with methods that have a positive impact on our local ecosystems and promotes biodiversity.
We believe that food is a universal right. Food that is fair should be accessible to all, regardless of income, and produced by people who are treated with dignity and justly compensated for their labor.
© Slow Food USA
About Slow Food Martha’s Vineyard
Slow Food Martha’s Vineyard is a chapter of Slow Food USA, therefore memberships go through the national office in New York, so be sure to designate Martha’s Vineyard as your local chapter when joining.
The chapter status gives us the institutional support to operate as a non-profit organization with structure and the ability to offer certain programs and do fund-raisers.
Our efforts include:
- Educating on sustainable food issues with movies, speakers, and panels.
- Supporting local farms and food artisans with farm tours and farm news.
- Organizing local foods potlucks, cooking classes and tastings, and wild foods walks
- Keeping local members informed with national and international sustainable food issues.
- Supporting donations for local families to the Island Food Pantry and Whippoorwill CSA.
Local membership benefits include:
- Free or discounted admission to community potlucks.
- Invitations to members-only potlucks at private homes
- Discounts on educational events
We are always looking for new members and volunteers. Please contact one of our chapter leaders for more information.
President: Cathy Walthers [email protected]
Vice President: Jan Buhrman [email protected]
Treasurer: Hara Dretaki [email protected]